Huffman Baptist Church
The church began construction for its own building in 1911 on land donated by Mrs C. T. Harrell. High winds damaged the building twice during its construction. The 48 x 60 foot frame structure was dedicated, as Whatley Memorial Baptist Church on Thanksgiving Day, 1912.
In 1934 the growing church began planning for a new, larger sanctuary to seat 500 people. Construction began in December 1939 across the street from the old church. The pink sandstone used on the exterior was quarried from Shades Mountain and laid by masons George Sailors and Oneal Barnett during days off from their WPA employment. The building was completed in 1942.
- Garrison, Greg (October 12, 2008) "Huffman Baptist celebrates 100th anniversary." Birmingham News