Terry Building

From Bhamwiki
(Redirected from Hughes Drug Store)
Jump to: navigation, search

Terry Building (also called the Hughes Drug Store) was an early three-story commercial building located on the southeast corner of 2nd Avenue North and 19th Street. It was constructed in 1881 by attorney and Birmingham City Schools founder John Terry and housed his office and several other businesses.

Fellow attorney Peyton King moved his office to the building when it opened. A drug store operated by Jack Adams and Arthur Moody shared the ground floor. The second floor housed Birmingham's first telephone exchange, established on May 8, 1882 with 26 subscribers. Within a few months, the phone service expanded to the third floor, where a 500-line switchboard was installed.

The building later received the name "Hughes Drug Store" due to housing the pharmacy of Doctor G. W. Hughes.

The building was demolished in 1987. The site is currently a surface parking lot.

References

  • Blake, T. Harry (1973) Birmingham Since 1885. Birmingham: Birmingham Historical Society
  • Satterfield, Carolyn Green (1976) Historic Sites of Jefferson County, Alabama. Birmingham: Jefferson County Historical Commission/Gray Printing Company