Louis Gelders

From Bhamwiki
Revision as of 15:51, 5 January 2011 by Dystopos (Talk | contribs)

Jump to: navigation, search

Louis Gelders was a real estate investor, restauranteur, and part-owner of the Parisian department store.

Gelders and his wife, the former Blanche Loeb of Mississippi, lived at the Opera House Hotel until their first daughter, Emma, turned two. They moved, in 1896, to a large house at 1525 Beech Street on the slope of Red Mountain.

Gelders and his children, Emma, Joseph and Louis, Jr, rode horses in the nearby forests.

His Gelders' Restaurant was located in downtown Birmingham. He helped organize the city's Mardi Gras celebrations in 1886. In 1911 he and G. W. Beringer purchased the Parisian Dry Goods & Millinery Company from its founders, Estalla and Bertha Sommers. They hired Lauren Bloch as general manager, and then sold the company to him in 1918.

The family attended Temple Emanu-El, where Gelders served on the building committee for the 1914 temple, nearby on Highland Avenue.