Welcome to Bhamwiki
Bhamwiki, now in its tenth year, is an encyclopedic resource for anyone curious about Birmingham, Alabama and the region around it. We aim for accuracy, objectivity, and accessibility as we work steadily to expand our coverage.
Bhamwiki has more than twelve thousand individual entries to explore. There are several ways to navigate the site. Click on any blue link to read an article about that topic. Try perusing some of our featured articles, or our newest entries. Look at what happened on this date in Birmingham's history. Take a chance by clicking on "random page" to the left. Or, if you know what you're looking for, try using the search box, or you can even start at the top and work your way down.
If you're interested in contributing corrections, comments, or an idea for an article, check out our Bhamwiki:Suggestion box. If you'd like to join the project as an editor, please review our Bhamwiki:User agreement. Note that all contributions are reviewed for adherence to our content policy and are subject to correction and expansion by other editors.
In the news
- February 12: Dominic Korir and Sarah Pease won the Mercedes Marathon.
- February 9: Luther Strange was appointed by Robert Bentley to fill Jeff Sessions vacant seat in the United States Senate.
- February 8: Jeff Sessions was confirmed as Attorney General of the United States.
- February 8: Publix opened a downtown supermarket at 20 Midtown.
- ...that the Nation of Islam was driven out of St Clair County in 1970?
- ...that Cinema City 8 was the largest multiplex in the nation when it opened in 1978?
- ...that cartoonist Howard Cruse and author Dennis Covington are cousins?
- ...that the Native American settlement of Mad Town on the Cahaba River marked a junction of major trade paths?
- ...that actress Gail Strickland is the daughter of tire dealer Lynn Strickland?
Bhamwiki has been running since March 15, 2006. The project currently has 464 registered user accounts and contains approximately 12,292 articles. See Bhamwiki:Milestones for more information on the growth of the site. You can also join us on facebook or follow along on twitter.