May 20 in the history of the Birmingham District:
- 2008: Construction began on a new clubhouse for Inverness Country Club, which was destroyed in a June 2007 fire.
- 2007: Brad Bryant won the Regions Charity Classic at Ross Bridge Resort with a 12-under 204.
- 2006: Birmingham-Southern College announced that it would drop scholarship athletics and enter NCAA Division III in all sports.
- 2006: Tennessee Valley Vipers 21 - Birmingham Steeldogs 17 at Huntsville.
- 2006: 40,000 people attended Do Dah Day on Highland Avenue and Caldwell Park.
- 1991: Birmingham Fire 24 - New York/New Jersey Knights 14 at Legion Field.
- 1978: Sun Ra and his Arkestra appeared on Saturday Night Live.
- 1962: The Our Lady of the Angels Monastery was established in Irondale.
- 1961: Singer and minister Brian Tribble was born in Birmingham.
- 1940: Soul musician Shorty Long was born in Birmingham.
- 1919: The 1919 Kiwanis International Convention commenced in Birmingham.
- 1911: Singer Vet Boswell was born in Birmingham.
- 1896: Blues harmonica player Jaybird Coleman was born in Gainesville, Sumter County.
- 1894: A strike-breaker was killed during the 1894 miner's strike.
- 1874: Visitors for the 1874 Alabama Press Association convention toured public works, Red Mountain and Downtown.