The store's site was originally used for the Bluff Park Hotel's tennis courts. In 1930, with lumber and building supplies not being plentiful due to the Great Depression, William Wyatt constructed a home using whatever he could find. The pine flooring came from Hillman Hospital and the windows and doors are different sizes due to a lack of standards at the time. Wyatt's widow sold the home to the Thursbys in 1982.
Today, the store property features a red, bay window, wood-framed caboose from the Nashville, Chattanooga & Saint Louis Railway.
In late 2016, the Thursby's son Jaime and his brother-in-law Darrel Graff began selling boiled peanuts at the store. Their venture evolved into the Alabama Peanut Co., which opened at 2016 Morris Avenue in 2018.
- Burns, Dale E. (n.d.) "Cabooses in Alabama".
- Skaggs, Heather Jones. (2013). Bluff Park. Images of America series. Arcadia Publishing. ISBN 0-7385-9099-1.
- Carlton, Bob (March 6, 2019) "Keeping an Alabama peanut tradition alive, 111 years later." The Birmingham News
- On-A-Shoestring on Facebook