The Piggly-Wiggly chain of owner-operated grocery stores entered the Birmingham market with four locations. Opened on May 2, 1925, the four original stores were all owned by chain founder Clarence Saunders. The chain itself was founded by Saunders in Memphis, Tennessee in 1916. He later patented his concept of the "Self-Serving Store", with which he replaced the prevailing system in which a clerk gathered up an order from shelves behind the counter.
- The four original locations in 1925 were:
- 1016 20th Street South (closed fall 1993)
- 27 Park Road, Pleasant Grove (closed 2008)
- 31st Street Southwest and Jefferson Avenue, severely damaged by a fire in the 1990's, demolished and replaced with a Shell station in 2000-2001.
- 3314 Clairmont Avenue, Lakeview
- 3000 Independence Drive, Homewood, owned by Stanley Virciglio (formerly Hill's)
- 93 Euclid Avenue, Crestline, owned by Stanley Virciglio
- 2612 30th Avenue North
- 1697 Tuscaloosa Avenue Southwest
- 6501 1st Avenue North, East Lake (A former Food Max or Food Fair, moved here from 5401 First Avenue North in Woodlawn when that chain closed the store.)
- 61 Jefferson Street, Alexander City
- 6842 Old Springville Road, Clay
- 7245 Alabama Highway 160, Hayden
- 35 Camp Road, Cleveland
- 211 West College Street, Columbiana
- 1619 Forestdale Boulevard, Forestdale (Formerly a Winn-Dixie, originally a Hill's
- 4933 Alabama Highway 157, Cullman
- 770 Shades Mountain Plaza, Hoover
- 32 Phillips Drive, Midfield
- 4563 Shelby County Highway 25, Montevallo
- 100 Counsel Street, Odenville
- Highway 411 & Highway 174, Odenville
- 1224 North Talladega Road, Sylacauga
- 320 West Battle Street, Talladega
- 308 East Street, North Talladega
- 1721 Greensboro Avenue, Tuscaloosa
- 202 South Elm Street, Tuskegee
- 5000 Bessemer Super Highway, Bessemer, branded as Sav-U-Foods, named as such in weekly Piggly-Wiggly ads.
- Birmingham Chamber of Commerce (May 1925) "Industrial Activities". Birmingham. Vol. 1, No. 2
- "Piggly Wiggly." Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. 20 Oct 2006, 13:53 UTC. Wikimedia Foundation, Inc. 22 Oct 2006 .
- Piggly-Wiggly locations in Alabama at pigglywiggly.com