Ross Bridge

From Bhamwiki
Jump to: navigation, search
This article is about the historical bridge. For other uses, see Ross Bridge (disambiguation).
Ross Bridge in April 2007

Ross Bridge is a small stone railway bridge built by the Confederate Army across Shades Creek on James Taylor Ross' farm in the Oxmoor Valley. The railroad became the North and South Railroad. The property was purchased in 1907 by Tennessee Coal and Iron.

The sandstone bridge now survives as little more than a culvert. When the valley east of the bridge was developed as the Ross Bridge Resort and Ross Bridge community, the location of the bridge was made accessible off of Ross Bridge Parkway. A historical marker was added to the site by the Hoover Historical Society on February 13, 2006.