Revision as of 07:37, 14 March 2008 by Lkseitz
September 11 in the history of the Birmingham District:
- 2007: Restauranteur Pearl Carilie died in Columbiana.
- 2006: The Clay Community Center formally opened to the public.
- 2002: The 9-11 Memorial Walk was dedicated along 19th Street North.
- 2001: Librarian Lynn Edwards Angell was killed in the hijacking of American Airlines Flight 11, and accountant Bill Godshalk was killed in his office in Building 2 of the World Trade Center during terrorist attacks on the United States.
- 1978: Pilgrim Congregational Church's pastor Lawrence Johnson died.
- 1970: Vida Blue pitched a one-hitter for the Oakland Athletics.
- 1967: Karl Seitz began as a reporter for the Birmingham Post-Herald.
- 1948: Businessman and child actor Phillip Alford was born in Gadsden.
- 1913: Legendary football coach Bear Bryant was born.