Spain & Gillon
The firm was founded in 1912 as the law practice of Phares Coleman and his son, Phares Jr, whose sole client at the time was the United States Fidelity and Guaranty Company. They were joined in 1919 by Frank Spain, changing the name of the firm from Coleman & Coleman to Coleman, Coleman & Spain.
The elder Coleman died in 1933. In 1945 John Gillon, who had joined the firm in 1925, was added to the nameplate of Spain, Gillon, Grooms & Young. It was changed again in 1953 to Spain, Gillon & Young, then to Spain, Gillon, Riley, Tate & Ansley in 1966. Later forms of the name included Spain, Gillon, Riley, Tate & Etheredge (1972), Spain, Gillon, Tate, Grooms & Blan (1984), and Spain, Gillon, Grooms, Blan & Nettles (1990). The firm adopted its present name in 1996.
- Spain & Gillon website