Dills attended Winthrop University in Rock Hill, South Carolina and earned his Master of Fine Arts in fiction writing from Columbia College in Chicago, Illinois. He launched THE2NDHAND, a freely-distributed literary broadsheet, in Chicago in 2000. He met his wife, Susannah Felts when she profiled him for the Chicago Reader and later worked there as an editorial assistant.
In November 2006, after a book tour for his first novel Sons of the Rapture, Dills and Felts relocated to Birmingham. Their daughter, Thalia, was born in 2008. The family relocated to Nashville in 2009.
- Dills, Todd (2006) Sons of the Rapture. Chicago: Featherproof Books. ISBN 0977199215
- Dills, Todd, editor (2004) All Hands On: A The2ndHand Reader. Chicago, Illinois: Elephant Rock Books ISBN 0975374605
- Dills, Todd (2002) For Weeks Above the Umbrella. self-published.
- Kenny, Heather (November 3, 2006) "Son of the South". Chicago Reader
- Eler, Alicia (February 19, 2008) "Chat Room: Todd Dills". Chicago Sun-Times.