WBHM (FM 90.3) is a public radio station licensed to UAB and Birmingham's NPR affiliate. The station primarily broadcasts news and entertainment programming from National Public Radio and Public Radio International, with classical music from American Public Media's "Classical C24" in the evenings.
WBHM's only full-length, in-house, locally produced program was Tapestry, produced by former news director Tanya Ott, program director Michael Krall and hosted by Greg Bass. The station's general manager is Chuck Holmes, who succeeded Scott Hanley in January 2017.
On a sub-carrier channel, WBHM operates the Alabama Radio Reading Service, which broadcasts readings from the Birmingham News and popular magazines for blind and visually-impaired residents of the Birmingham area through a grant from the Alabama Department of Rehabilitation Services. Gadsden's WSGN-FM operated primarily as a re-broadcaster of WBHM's signal.
In June 2004, WBHM made significant changes to its programming, dropping 7 hours per week of classical music programs, including the live Saturday afternoon broadcast of the New York Metropolitan Opera. The airtime was filled with syndicated news, information and quiz-show programs.
In September, 2006, ratings and listenership data from Arbitron and Audience Research Analysis were reviewed and a decision was made to increase classical music programming from 100 to 108.5 hours per week by dropping some of the less-popular information and quiz shows, as well as a Celtic music show.
On March 31, 2008 classical music programming was reduced from 108.5 to 78.5 hours as the station's music source, the Los Angeles-based Classical Public Radio Network, ceased operations. The shift marked the first time that less than half of the weekly schedule was left to classical music programs. There are plans to add a full-time music option when the station moves to a high-definition digital broadcast in 2010.
- "Marino on Music" hosted by Amerigo Marino, Sundays 7:30-8:00 PM, 1976-
- Bob Truett, Saturdays 7:30-8:00 AM
- "Tapestry", hosted by Greg Bass, Thursdays 6:30-7:30 PM, 2005-
- Dan Carsen
- Gigi Douban, news director (November 10, 2016-)
- Michael Krall
- Lissa LeGrand
- Rosemary Pennington
- Andrew Yeager
- Former staff members:
- Esther Ciammachilli (-February 2018)
- Steve Chiotakis (1996-October 3, 2008)
- Scott Hanley, general manager 2008-2012
- John Lemley, (mid-1990s)
- Rachel Lindley former news director (September 1, 2013-July 22, 2016)
- Les Myars (early music director)
- Tanya Ott (former news director)
- Bette Lee, news (1976-)
- Lewis White, news (1976-)
- Weaver, Emmett (December 6, 1976) "WBHM is new bright spot on radio." Birmingham Post-Herald
- Huebner, Michael (September 8, 2006) "WBHM to add classical music, drop some shows". The Birmingham News
- Huebner, Michael (March 28, 2008) "WBHM radio station reduces airing of classical music." The Birmingham News