Wenonah Elementary School
|Wenonah Elementary School|
|District||Jefferson County (1946-1974)|
|Colors||yellow, white & navy blue|
|Location||3008 Wilson Road Southwest, (map)|
After the company-owned Wenonah School was destroyed by fire in 1944, the Tennessee Coal & Iron (TCI) Company donated a 16-acre parcel of land to Jefferson County to construct a new elementary and high school. Construction began in late 1946.
In the fall of 1947, students in grades 8 - 12 from Galilee, Mt Olive and Bryant Chapel Baptist Churches and Riley Elementary School began classes in the downstairs classrooms of the new Wenonah Elementary School while construction was being completed upstairs and on the high school.
In January 1948, the 9th - 12th grade students at the elementary school, and surrounding Jefferson County moved to the new high school. Grades 1 - 8 from more surrounding schools and churches were moved to the newly completed elementary school.
In 1973, Wenonah Elementary School was annexed into the city of Birmingham. Administration of Wenonah was taken over by the Birmingham Board of Education from the Jefferson County School System in December 1974. In 1979 the school housed 900 students.
Under a school consolidation plan proposed by acting superintendent Barbara Allen and approved by the Board, Wenonah Elementary closed in the Summer of 2011 with students transferring to Jones Valley and Oxmoor Valley K-8 Schools. . The last principal was Barbara Huntley.
In May 2012, the Wenonah Elementary School property was sold to Lawson State Community College for $500,000. On October 14, 2015, ground was broken for a new Student Success Center on the site of the Wenonah Elementary School.
- "Jeffco board turns over deed to Wenonah schools to city" (December 20, 1974) The Birmingham News - via Birmingham Public Library Digital Collections