Wenonah School #1 was erected at TCI's Wenonah #9 mining camp (the current site of the East Brownsville Park). Free schooling was provided to the children of TCI employees in grades 1-9. Another school, (Wenonah School #2) served grades 1-5 at Browns Station (Brownsville). After completing the 9th grade students could continue their education at Powderly School, Miles Memorial School or Parker High School. Those schools were later absorbed into the Jefferson County Schools system. The last principal of Wenonah School was Mabel Buffin.
In 1943, Wenonah School was destroyed by fire caused by a lightning strike. Beginning in the fall of 1946, students attended classes at Galilee, Bryant Chapel and Mt Olive Baptist Churches and at Riley and Powderly Schools. A new Wenonah Elementary School and Wenonah High School were built on land donated by TCI by 1947.
The East Brownsville Community Association had a formal dedication ceremony, Saturday, May 23, 2009, to mark the site of the former Wenonah School.