1927 Porter Clothing Co. building

From Bhamwiki
Jump to: navigation, search
The Porter Clothing Co. building

The 1927 Porter Clothing Co. building is a three-story, limestone-clad commercial building on the southeast corner of 20th Street and 3rd Avenue North (the northwestern quarter of Block 85). It was built in 1927 for the Porter Clothing Co.

The building, which replaced an existing row of small commercial building, was designed in a modern "stripped classicist" style by the firm of Miller, Martin & Lewis.

After Porter's closed in 1963 the building's ground-level facades were modernized. Shoney's restaurant moved into the corner space, with a fiberglass "Big Boy" mounted to the corner of the building.