4th Avenue West

From Bhamwiki
Jump to: navigation, search

4th Avenue West (formerly Earle Avenue, sometimes spelled Earl Avenue) is an east-west avenue running from Center Street in Graymont westward, through Elyton Village (where it is called Village Court West) and then through Bush Hills to Border Street, where it continues as 24th Street Ensley.

The street's original name referred to the 40-acre plantation that Samuel Earle purchased from the United States in 1824. It remained in his family until it was purchased for redevelopment by the United States Housing Authority in 1938.

Notable addresses