Alabama Great Southern Depot
The 170-foot by 5-foot station was built by the Alabama Great Southern Railroad at a cost of $30,000. The railroad employed its own engineers and laborers in its design and construction. The exterior walls are of pressed brown brick and limestone trim. The tiered roof covered in tan-colored clay tiles. Interior finishes included plastered walls with a terrazzo wainscot, heart pine and walnut woodwork, and glue-chip glass clerestory windows.
The station opened in March 1916. The main floor was divided by a central ticket booth into segregated waiting areas. An innovated combination hot water and steam heating system was installed in the depot.
The Bessemer Hall of History moved into the building in 1985. An official rededication was observed during the Bessemer Centennial in 1987. In 2001 the museum won a $76,000 grant from the Alabama Department of Transportation to fund repairs and refurbishment to the train depot. The project was delayed as money was raised for architectural plans and additional funding was secured from the Bessemer City Council. The disbursement of the state grant was at risk until Bessemer agreed to provide an additional $18,500 to cover cost increases since the plan was first proposed.
- Byram, Meredith M. (January 2004) "Bessemer's Historic Railroad Passenger Terminal Houses Hall of History Museum" BhamRails.info
- Gordon, Robert K. (June 4, 2008) "Bessemer council OKs $18,500 to meet grant for renovation of Bessemer Hall of History." The Birmingham News