Alabama Lawyers' Hall of Fame
The Alabama Lawyers' Hall of Fame was established in 2003 to honor the contributions of individual attorneys who practiced the state of Alabama. The hall of fame, located in the former Alabama Supreme Court building in Montgomery, is maintained by the Alabama State Bar.
The idea of establishing a Lawyers' Hall of Fame was Terry Brown's. He wrote to Bar president Sam Rumore in 2000 to suggest that the former State Supreme Court building be used as a museum honoring notable lawyers from the history of the state. Under the presidency of Fred Gray, a task force was appointed to formulate guidelines for a hall of fame, which was approved in 2003 by the Board of Bar Commissioners.
A selection committee meets annually to consider nominees. Candidates for induction must have had "a distinguished career in the law" and must have been dead for two years before selection. One inductee in each five-member class must also be drawn from the list of attorneys dead for at least 100 years. Plaques honoring each inductee are displayed in the Hall of Fame, as well as on the Bar's web site.
- 2004: Albert Farrah, Frank Johnson, Annie Price, Arthur Shores
- 2005: Oscar Adams Jr, Douglas Arant, Hugo Black, Harry Toulmin
- 2006: William King, Thomas Peters, John Sparkman, Robert Vance
- 2007: John Campbell, Howell Heflin, Thomas Jones, Patrick Richardson
- 2008: John Scott, Vernon Crawford, Edward Friend Jr, Elisha Peck
- 2009: Francis Hare, James Birney, Michael Figures, Clement Clay, Samuel Pipes III
- 2010: Edgar Albritton, Henry Hitchcock, James Horton, Lawrence Redden, Harry Seale
- 2011: Roderick Beddow, John McKinley, Nina Miglionico, Charles Morgan Jr, William Scruggs, Jr
- 2012: John Caddell, Logan Martin, Edwin Page, William Samford, David Vann
- 2013: Seybourn Lynne, Maud Kelly, William Denson, Marion Baldwin, T. Massey Bedsole
- 2014: Walter Bragg, George Lovejoy, Albert Patterson, Sam Pointer Jr, Henry Steagall
- 2015: Abe Berkowitz, Reuben Chapman, Martin Leigh Harrison, Holland McTyeire Smith, Frank Edward Spain
- 2016: William B. Bankhead, Lister Hill, John Thomas King, J. Russell McElroy, George Washington Stone
- 2017: Bibb Allen, Mahala Ashley Dickerson, John Cooper Godbold, Alto Velo Lee, III, Charles Tait
- 2018: Jeremiah Clemens, Carl Atwood Elliott, Robert Austin Huffaker, Sr., Henry Upson Sims, George Peach Taylor
- 2019: Clifford Judkins Durr, Broox Gray Garrett, Henry Washington Hilliard, Richard Taylor Rives, Ellene G. Winn
- 2020: Cecil Howard Strawbridge, Helen Shores Lee, Henry Minor, Jane Kimbrough Dishuck, William Burton Hairston, Jr.
- Valasco, Eric (April 3, 2009) "Inductees to the Alabama Lawyers Hall of Fame: Edward Friend Jr., Elisha Peck, Vernon Crawford and John Scott." The Birmingham News
- Faulk, Kent (May 2, 2013) "Former Birmingham Mayor David J. Vann among Alabama lawyers being inducted posthumously into hall of fame." The Birmingham News
- Alabama Lawyers' Hall of Fame at alabar.org