Alabama Motion Picture Company
The Alabama Motion Picture Company was a business organization headed by Edward Peter that planned to establish a "movie colony" in 1927 on 300-acres it purchased from the Birmingham Development Company along U.S. Highway 11 north of Trussville and south of Camp Mary Munger Road. The site would be dedicated to the production of films, focusing on westerns and historical romances. The company hoped to one day tell the story of Alabama in film with only Alabamians in the cast.
The development company envisages the establishment of a new town on its 4,000 acres anchored by the movie colony which, when it exceeded 500 permanent residents, would be incorporated as Mason-Dixon City. It constructed a land office near the highway. The Great Depression ended those plans.
- "Industrial Activities" (December 1927) Birmingham magazine, Vol. 3, No. 12 - via Birmingham Public Library Digital Collections
- Parrish, Helen (January 12, 1945) "Professor Ziolkowski Honored-Tallulah Bankhead-Other Alabama Stars-Dramatic Endeavors in This State" WAPI-AM, reprinted in Alabama Woman's Page, Vol. 38, No. 2 (October 1945). Montevallo: Alabama College, p. 27