Alfred Eubank

From Bhamwiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Alfred Eubank (born September 18, 1851 in Jefferson County; died February 26, 1924) was a dentist, a partner with his brother George Eubank in the Eubanks Brothers clinic. They were two of the nine children born to former Jefferson County Sheriff William C. Eubank and his wife, Eliza.

Eubank was tutored at home and began his medical studies under Mortimer Jordan Jr in Elyton. Jordan encouraged him to take up dentistry, and he continued to train under A. S. McEntire. In 1872 he enrolled at the Baltimore Dental College, teaching school to support himself. He married a childhood neighbor, the former Sarah "Cissy" Jones in that period and moved to Birmingham to practice dentistry. In 1877 he kept an office in the Stone Building on 1st Avenue North. Describing himself as a "desident dentist," he informed potential patients that though he gave "about two-thirds of his time to his office", he had no fixed office day except Saturday, and so it would be wise to make an appointment.

Eubank was soon joined by his younger brother. They opened a joint clinic in O'Brien's Opera House in the mid-1880s and moved to the second floor of the new Watts Building, above the Lawson Carpet Co., in 1888. The partnership dissolved, by "mutual consent" in 1890. George kept the existing office and Alfred moved his practice into a new floor constructed above the May & Thomas Hardware Co.'s "Mantel House" at 2017½ 3rd Avenue North. He later moved to the First National Bank Building.

During his 45-year career, Alfred Eubank was known for embracing the latest technologies. He attended clinics in New York, Boston and Rochester, Minnesota, and taught for a time at the Dental College of Birmingham. He also published articles on dental technology, dental pathology, and dental surgery.

Eubank and his wife had four daughters, Minnie, Kate, Lucy, and Emma. Eubank died in 1924 and is buried at Elmwood Cemetery.

References

External links