Designed by Frank Lloyd Wright apprentice Don Buel Schuyler, and constructed by Laycock & McGee, the Alta Apartments opened on July 14, 1940. Developed by the Burchfield family of Tuscaloosa, its name was taken from that of Alta Burchfield, one of its developers. Designed in the art deco style, the building included retail space on the first floor topped with seven apartments on each floor for 21 total units in the building. The building was constructed atop the former location of the Elks Theatre. The building was demolished in the fall of 2007 to make way for the Government Plaza park as part of a major downtown revitalization project.
- Staff Reporters (July 14, 1940) "Public invited to inspect new Alta Apartments today". p. 5 The Tuscaloosa News
- Staff Reporters (July 14, 1940) "Elks Theatre was landmark". p. 6 The Tuscaloosa News
- Historic Images of the Tuscaloosa Area, accessed May 12, 2011.