BB&T Corporation is the 8th-largest bank in the United States with 1,850 branches in 13 states, and is based in Winston-Salem, North Carolina. It has 22 branches in Birmingham, holding $1.2 billion in local deposits, and a total of 87 across Alabama.
BB&T (which stands for "Branch Banking and Trust") entered the Birmingham District with a de novo branch at 2204 Lakeshore Parkway in Homewood. On August 15, 2009, it was announced that the deposits and loan accounts of Colonial Bank were being transferred to BB&T as part of Colonial's receivership by the FDIC. This acquisition added over 340 branches in Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Nevada and Texas along with approximately $26 billion in assets. This moved BB&T Corporation to the 8th largest commercial bank in the United States based on deposits.
One year after entering Alabama via the Colonial acquisition, BB&T reported that deposits had risen 10 percent.
In 2019 BB&T merged with Atlanta, Georgia-based SunTrust Banks to from Truist Financial Corporation, and established a new corporate headquarters in Charlotte, North Carolina.
BB&T has 26 offices in the metropolitan Birmingham area:
- 820 19th Street South, Medical Center
- 1900 29th Avenue South, Homewood
- 1596 Montgomery Highway, Hoover
- 1034 Montgomery Highway, Vestavia Plaza Shopping Center
- 1500 Montclair Road, Eastwood
- 1602 Forestdale Plaza, Forestdale
- 27 Park Road, Pleasant Grove
- 2705 Meadowbrook Road, Inverness
- 629 Red Lane Road, Roebuck
- 2750 John Hawkins Parkway, Hoover
- 200 18th Street North, Bessemer
- 1325 Decatur Highway, Gardendale
- 2998 Pelham Parkway, Pelham
- 5580 Chalkville Mountain Road, Grayson Valley
- 2821 Moody Parkway, Moody
- 14487 U. S. Highway 411, Odenville
- 5836 U. S. Highway 11, Springville
- 2203 1st Avenue North, Pell City
- 3901 U. S. Highway 78 East, Jasper
- 2002 2nd Avenue, Jasper
- 415 2nd Avenue East, Oneonta
- 255 5th Street, Ashville
- Jarvis, Crystal (August 14, 2009) "It's official: Colonial BancGroup fails." Birmingham Business Journal
- "BB&T" (December 7, 2009) Wikipedia - accessed December 19, 2009
- Hubbard, Russell (August 21, 2010) "BB&T says Alabama deposits up one year after Colonial debacle." The Birmingham News
- Marcinek, Laura and Danielle Kucera (February 6, 2011) "BB&T targets takeovers in Texas, Midwest." Bloomberg News
- Little, Jane (February 7, 2019) "BB&T merging with SunTrust, establishing HQ in Charlotte." Triad Business Journal
- BBT.com website