This article is about the former 6-story building on 2nd Avenue North. For the gymnasium and auditorium at UAB, see UAB Bell Building.
The Bell Building in 1912
The Southern Bell Telephone & Telegraph Company Building was a six-story building at 1814 2nd Avenue North which served as the headquarters offices of the Southern Bell telephone and telegraph company from about 1907 until the company moved down the street to the much-larger Phoenix Building in 1950.
The building was designed by Wheelock & Wheelock. J. F. Knox used the roof of the Bell Building for his 1916 panoramic photograph of the Birmingham skyline.
The building and its equipment were damaged during the March 10, 1934 fire which began in a sub-basement of the Loveman's Annex.
During wartime rationing, the Bell Building housed the Alabama Sugar Branch Office, which processed requests by consumers and merchants in need of sugar.
In 1964 the building housed Carleton's Furs on the ground floor and was vacant above.
The building was demolished before 1970, allowing for construction of the Loveman's parking deck, currently used by the McWane Science Center.
- McKinstry, John Rothrock (April 26, 1974) The Telephone in Birmingham: 1882-1968. Samford University M.A. thesis