- This article is about the downtown building. For the office building in Vestavia Hills, see Berry Building (Vestavia Hills).
The Berry Building (also called the Burger Dry Goods Building or the Conwell Building) is a four-story commercial building constructed in 1906 for the Burger Dry Goods Co. located at 2015 2nd Avenue North. It was designed by architect Harry Breeding with a brick and terra-cotta facade, closely-spaced double-hung windows, and a pressed metal cornice.
The Burger-Phillips department store expanded into adjoining buildings before moving to 3rd Avenue in 1933. The building was renovated for the Broadhead Furniture Co. in 1939, and for Belk-Hudson department store in 1954. By 1964 the building housed both the Bennett Amaro Furniture Co. and Helen & Wally's Halo of Beauty.
The building took its current name in 1983 when developers John Lauriello and Steve Lichter took on the Berry Project, comprising the row of historic buildings from 2009 to 2017 2nd Avenue North and restored them as professional offices. Bob Moody designed the restoration and Craftsman Construction served as contractor.
- David Ardoin attorney (2000)
- Timothy Dillard attorney (2000)
- Duffee & Associates attorneys (2000)
- 100: Durward & Cromer attorneys (2000)
- 200: Smithe, Spires & Peddy attorneys (2000)
- "The Berry Project" marker at the Historical Marker Database