BioGX is a molecular diagnostics company headquartered at 2450 Valleydale Road. The company also operates a second manufacturing and distribution center, BioGX BV, in Amsterdam, the Netherlands.
BioGX was founded in 2007 by Michael Vickery and was located in Birmingham's Innovation Depot until purchasing its present 30,000 square-foot building in 2021. Shazi Iqbal has served as CEO since 2011. Both are veterans of the Sunnyvale, California-based Cepheid Inc.
BioGX partnered with Becton Dickinson & Co. of New Jersey to develop a rapid COVID-19 RNA test for its "BD Max" diagnostic platform. The test was granted an emergency use authorization from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration in April 2020. It's "XFree" test process was given the same type of approval in October.
- Patchen, Tyler (March 17, 2020) "Birmingham biotech firm collaborating on COVID-19 diagnostics." Birmingham Business Journal
- Patchen, Tyler (April 6, 2020) "Bham biotech firm's COVID-19 test collaboration gets FDA authorization." Birmingham Business Journal
- Patchen, Tyler (October 27, 2020) "Birmingham company secures FDA emergency use authorization for Covid-19 test." Birmingham Business Journal
- Patchen, Tyler (January 26, 2021) "BioGX to move to facility on Valleydale Road." Birmingham Business Journal
- Thornton, William (February 4, 2021) "BioGX moving to Shelby County, to hire 30." The Birmingham News
- Patchen, Tyler (July 1, 2021) "BioGX receives emergency use authorization from FDA for Covid test." Birmingham Business Journal
- BioGX website