Black Market Bar
Black Market Bar & Grill is a bar and grill with two locations in Birmingham.
The original Black Market Bar is located at 3411 Colonnade Parkway and opened in January 2009. It is owned by George Cowgill and Elise Youngblood, who also operated Speakeasy 1920 in downtown Birmingham. Rachael Moore is also a partner in the business.
Black Market Bar serves lunch dinner on Monday through Saturday and offers a Sunday Brunch featuring "Southern Mimosas" (Miller High Life and orange juice).
In 2012 a second location was opened by Cowgill and Youngblood in the Shepherd-Sloss building at 2011 Highland Avenue in the Five Points South neighborhood. The bar was the scene of a shooting on January 1, 2013 that was determined to have been justified as self-defense.
In 2023 Black Market Bar & Grill opened a third location on Printers Alley in Nashville, Tennessee.
- McAlister, Laura, Joe O'Donnell, Mary Ellen Stancill and Carla Jean Whitley (2009) "The Drinker's Dozen" Birmingham magazine
- Gaskin, Tom (June 12, 2009) "From brunch to late-night snacks, Black Market Bar in the Colonnade hits the spot." The Birmingham News
- Diel, Stan (August 30, 2012) "Newest Five Points South tenant sees entertainment district rebound." The Birmingham News
- Gray, Jeremy (February 27, 2013) "New Year's Day shooting outside Five Points South bar ruled justifiable self-defense." The Birmingham News
- Thrailkill, Laurel & Stephanie Rebman (August 10, 2023) "Black Market opening new location this month." Birmingham Business Journal
- Black Market Bar website