Block 73 is a Birmingham city block bordered by 19th and 20th Streets and by 3rd and 4th Avenues North. It included the former site of the 1901 Birmingham City Hall on the northwest quadrant, as well as the Kress Building, Burger-Phillips building, Kessler Building and Blach's Building along 3rd Avenue.
In 1979 the block was the first section of the city center to be targeted for redevelopment by a committee of Operation New Birmingham. ONB hired Crawford and Giattina Architects to propose redevelopment plans. Their proposal included various alternatives, one of which included a new hotel and department store in the existing structures. Other possibilities included demolishing the block and selling it as a single site for new construction. The possibility of constructing a parking garage across 3rd Avenue from the site was also proposed.
- 19th Street North
- 20th Street North
- 3rd Avenue North
- 1900–1906: S. H. Kress & Company Building (built 1937)
- 1908–1910: Atrium Building (built 1980s)
- 1912–1916: Crittenden Building (built 1924 as Oster Brothers)
- 1918: 2-story building (built 1888)
- 1920: 1963 Steiner Bank building (built 1963)
- 1922–1926: Kessler Building (built 1890 as the Allen Building)
- 1928–1932: Hood Building (built 1890)
- 4th Avenue North