Brother Bryan Mission
It is currently located at 1616 & 1630 2nd Avenue North, and serves homeless men as part of its ministry to help change lives with safe shelter, nutritious meals, day room, drug and alcohol counseling, and chapel services. The Brother Bryan Mission has always been non-denominational and has operated independently of government support.
The Mission's first location was in five rooms on the top floor of a building located at 406 20th Street South, but by 1945 a large gift from Robert Munger allowed the mission to move to its own facility.
Jim Etheredge was named the Brother Bryan Mission's executive director in 2013. In late 2020 the Mission acquired the property at 1630 2nd Avenue North for expansion. Its present shelter capacity is 104 beds.
- Gray, Jeremy (April 5, 2013) "As expansion plans continue, new director stepping in at Birmingham's Brother Bryan Mission." The Birmingham News
- Staff (June 27, 2016) "Mission Makers: Local Construction Company Boosts Mission’s Efforts to Help more People" Birmingham Christian Family magazine
- Staff (March 24, 2017) "Mission Makers: Brother Bryan Mission" Birmingham Christian Family magazine
- Rebman, Stephanie (December 29, 2020) "Brother Bryan Mission purchases building for expansion." Birmingham Business Journal