Cathedral of the Cross
The Cathedral of the Cross (formerly Huffman Assembly of God) was a large congregation affiliated with the Assemblies of God USA church and located at 1480 Center Point Parkway in Center Point.
Huffman Assembly of God was founded by fourteen members in 1958, led by Birmingham businessman and Assemblies of God minister Bob Smith. The church began in a small, white frame house at 9553 Parkway East. In 1963, the church acquired an adjoining lot and constructed a new brick church building with a 400 seat sanctuary.
In July 1970, the church hired Dan Ronsisvalle as pastor. By 1972, the church had grown from 75 members to more than 400 members, prompting the construction of a new sanctuary that would seat more than 1,000. In December 1974, the church embarked on a long-range building program that included the creation of a new private K-12 school and ultimately a new campus for the church itself, to be called the Cathedral of the Cross.
In the fall of 1976, the church opened Cathedral Christian School, which it initially hosted in the church building. In 1977, the school moved to a brand new campus at 1401 Huffman Road.
In 1986, the church completed construction on a new, $9 million structure designed by Hord Architects of Memphis, Tennessee. The new church campus was located at 1480 Center Point Parkway, and adjoined the back of the existing Cathedral Christian School building. The new building facilitated its growth into one of the largest churches in the state, seating as many as 7,800. At its peak, Cathedral of the Cross was the largest congregation in the Alabama District of the Assemblies of God.
In 2011, the church had dwindled to a handful of members, and moved out of the Center Point Parkway location. The remnants of the membership now meet in the Pinson area. In November 2011, the property was sold to the Apostolic Overcoming Holy Church of God, which made the building its new international headquarters known as the Cathedral of the Cross A.O.H. Church of God.
The church also hosted the Cathedral Riders Motorcycle Club. The AOH Church plans to reopen a school at the facility.
The facility also formerly served as a meeting space for The Basement youth revival meetings.
- Bob Smith (1958-1970)
- Dan Ronsisvalle (1970-1993)
- Mark Correll (1993-?)
- Mike Wright
- Huie, William Bradford (1979) It's Me, O Lord. Nashville, Tennessee: Thomas Nelson. ISBN 9780840751416
- Garrison, Greg (November 8, 2011) "AOH Church of God denomination buys Cathedral of the Cross for international headquarters." The Birmingham News
- Garrison, Greg (November 19, 2003) "Pioneer, Pastor Dan Ronsisvalle Dreamed Big", The Birmingham News
- Original architectural drawing and submittal, Hord Architects, Memphis, TN