City Paper Company
Polish immigrant Jacob Friedman purchased the company in 1922. When he died in 1940 the company was carrying $300,000 in debts and his teenage son, Paul Friedman Sr took over as president. The family lawyer and accountant advised that he should file for bankruptcy, but Friedman instead hired a different lawyer and was able to bring the firm out of debt in three years. It flourished in the post-war commercial expansion and he began grooming his son, Paul Friedman Jr, to succeed him. He handed over the reins (more or less) in 1997.
The company also leased 44,160 square-feet of warehouse space at the Birmingham Food Terminal and Distribution Center off Finley Boulevard, and maintained showrooms at the Dallas World Trade Center, the Atlanta Gift Mart and the Chicago Merchandise Mart.
- Tomberlin, Michael (September 13, 2008) "City Paper renews lease." The Birmingham News
- Pannell, Audrey (October 11, 2010) "City Paper Company" The Pillars
- Rebman, Stephanie (October 9, 2018) "Longtime Birmingham company moves from downtown to Montclair Road." Birmingham Business Journal