Colonial Properties Trust
Colonial Properties Trust (NYSE: CLP) was a multifamily focused real estate investment trust (REIT). Colonial developed, managed, and leased retail, office and multi-family properties.
The company was founded in 1970 in Montgomery and later moved its headquarters to the Colonial Plaza at 2101 6th Avenue North.
By the end of 2006 the company owned or managed 39,104 apartment units, 17.6 million square feet of office space and 12.1 million square feet of retail shopping space across the South and Southwest, from Virginia to Nevada. In 2007 the company consolidated its offices at the newly-constructed Colonial Center office building at Brookwood Village.
In 2013 Colonial Properties merged with Mid-America Apartment Communities Inc. of Germantown, Tennessee.
MAA consolidated its administrative offices in Memphis and began selling off retail properties to maintain focus on its multi-family residential portfolio.
Birmingham District retail projects
- Colonial Promenade Alabaster
- Colonial Promenade Tannehill (sold 2013)
- Colonial Shoppes Colonnade
- Colonial Promenade Fultondale
- Colonial Brookwood Village (sold 2014)
- Colonial Promenade at Hoover
- Hoover Commons Shopping Center
- Colonial Pinnacle at Tutwiler Farm
- Colonial Promenade at Trussville
- Colonial Promenade Tutwiler Farm
- Colonial Shoppes Clay
Birmingham District apartment complexes
- Colonial Village at Trussville (built 1996)
- Carl Cronan (February 4, 2005) "Colonial expansion: REIT snaps up coveted Westshore buildings." Tampa Bay Business Journal.
- "Colonial Properties"(June 7, 2007) - Wikipedia - accessed June 15, 2007
- Walsh, Alex (June 3, 2013) "Colonial Properties Trust merges with MAA, and Birmingham loses another public company." The Birmingham News