Cunningham Hospital

From Bhamwiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Cunningham Hospital was a private hospital built in 1899 by former Tennessee Coal Iron & Railroad Company (TCI) physician Russell Cunningham at the corner of Avenue F and 18th Street in Ensley.

Cunningham was elected Lieutenant Governor of Alabama in 1902 and served as acting Governor of Alabama from 1904 to 1905 while William Jelks was out of state for tuberculosis treatment. He was assisted by Charles Carraway before 1908.

In 1914 ownership of the hospital passed to TCI, which made it into the Employees Hospital of the Tennessee Coal, Iron and Railroad Company. The practice relocated to the large, well-equipped Lloyd Noland Hospital in Fairfield in 1919. The old wood-framed building was demolished soon later.

References