David Hooks (born c. 1956) is a former member of the Homewood City Council. He has also been chairman of the finance, administration and intergovernmental relations committees for the Alabama League of Municipalities and the former director of capital structure and investments for Jefferson County.
Hooks was a member of the Homewood City Council in 1993 when Governor Jim Folsom, Jr appointed him director of the Alabama Department of Economic and Community Affairs. Initially, Hooks said he planned to serve in both positions, but shortly thereafter he resigned from the City Council.
In July 2006, Hooks was selected out of a field of seven applicants to complete Laura Gaines' term as a Homewood city councilor. Gaines had resigned in May to start a jewelry design business in Atlanta. In February 2008, Hooks was appointed to a post in the National League of Cities. In July, he was appointed co-chairman of the Alabama Housing Trust Fund Task Force, a committee established by the Alabama Legislature to address the need for affordable housing within the state.
Hooks was unopposed for the city council seat in the 2008 election. In March 2009, he was again appointed to a post in the National League of Cities. He also became the top assistant to Jefferson County Commissioner Jimmie Stephens.
In February 2012, Jefferson County Manager Tony Petelos appointed Hooks as the county's director of capital structure and investments. Just a few months later, he resigned effective July 15, 2012 to accept a position back in the private sector. Hooks completed his term as a city councilor, which ended in November 2012, and did not seek re-election.
In January 2019, Hooks was hired as the executive director of the Gadsden-Etowah County Industrial Development Authority.
|Homewood City Council,
Ward I, Place 2
|Homewood City Council,
Ward IV, Place 2
- Kayne, Roni Bea. (June 1, 1993). "Hooks plans on serving Homewood and state." The Birmingham News.
- Kayne, Roni Bea. (June 24, 1993). "Environmentalist is recommended for open seat on Homewood Council." The Birmingham News.
- McAlister, Laura. (July 19, 2006). "Homewood ex-councilman returns to city government." The Birmingham News, page 3-S.
- Bryan, Kim. (February 13, 2008). "Members take top posts." The Birmingham News, page 1-S.
- Thornton, William. (March 11, 2009). "Councilman appointed to national panel post." The Birmingham News, page 3-S.
- Singleton III, William C. (March 7, 2012). "Homewood - Hooks doesn't plan to leave council seat." The Birmingham News.
- Wright, Barnett. (June 27, 2012). "David Hooks to resign as Jefferson County's director of investments." The Birmingham News.
- Orr, Jo Lynn. (Spring, 2013). "Built for Brain Waves: Creating Innovation Through Chaos." UAB Magazine.
- Thornton, William (January 23, 2019) "David Hooks hired as director of Gadsden-Etowah IDA" The Birmingham News