Davis Architects is Birmingham's oldest active architecture firm, with offices in the historic Birmingham Electric Battery Company (BEBCO) warehouse on 2nd Avenue South. The growing firm consists of 30 employees.
The firm was founded as the office of E. B. Van Keuren in 1912. Charles F. Davis Jr and his wife, Helen Davis, joined the firm in 1939 and became partners in 1946, at which point the name was changed to Van Keuren & Davis. Paul M. Speake and J. Marion Thrasher joined in 1949, leading the firm to change its name again, to Van Keuren, Davis and Company, with offices at 3004 7th Avenue South.
In 1961 it was renamed Davis, Speake & Thrasher, then Davis, Speake & Associates in 1976. Davis' son Neil Davis joined the firm that year and gradually took on the role of lead principal. In 1986 the present name was chosen.
The firm has won a Preservation Award from the Birmingham Historical Society for its renovations to its own office space in the former BEBCO warehouse.
- Bayview Elementary School, 1917
- Minor High School, 1926
- Highland Plaza, 1938
- Fairfield City Hall, 1945
- Shades Valley High School, 1949
- Gardendale High School, 1957
- Stringfellow Memorial Hospital, Anniston, 1958
- Yeilding Chapel at Birmingham-Southern College, 1967
- Haley Center, 1969
- 2101 Highland Avenue, 1973
- Ridgecrest Baptist Church's Huffman sanctuary (now Refiner's House), 1978
- Sun Valley Elementary School, 1990
- Pratt City Library, 1993
- Alys Stephens Center
- Pelham Public Library
- McAdory High School
- Mortimer Jordan High School, 2011
- Foster Auditorium, renovations, 2011
- Davis Architects website