Davis Middle School

From Bhamwiki
Jump to: navigation, search

James A. Davis Middle School, formerly Bessemer Junior High School, was part of the Bessemer City Schools system from its founding in 1953 to 2013.

In 1970 Davis School moved to the site of the former Clarendon Avenue School at 1224 Clarendon Avenue, adjacent to Roosevelt Park and Halls Creek. It became the system's sole middle school, serving grades 7 and 8 and feeding into Jess Lanier. The school was named in honor of James Davis, principal of Bessemer High School in the 1940s. The school's mascot was the Tigers and its colors were purple and white.

Davis Middle School moved to the former Jess Lanier High School campus in 2013. The school added a 6th grade and was re-named Bessemer City Middle School.

The vacant Davis Middle School building was purchased by the city for $150,000 in 2013 and demolished in 2014 to make way for the Bessemer Community Recreational Complex, completed in 2016.

Principals

References

  • Chambers, Jesse (September 13, 2013) "Bessemer City Middle School has new home, new colors, new spirit." The Birmingham News
  • Chambers, Jesse (October 2, 2013) "City of Bessemer will take possession of Davis School Oct. 15, will "move quickly' with demolition." The Birmingham News
  • Chambers, Jesse (April 15, 2014) "'A special moment' as Bessemer officials break ground for long-promised recreation facility." The Birmingham News