Jump to navigation Jump to search
December 24 in the history of the Birmingham District:
- 2009: MountainTop Community Church founder and pastor Bill Elder suffered a stroke.
- 2006: Reg's Coffee House returned to the air with a 2-hour Christmas special on WYSF-FM.
- 1950: The first liturgy at St Elias Maronite Church's new church was celebrated.
- 1894: A second blow-out at Brierfield Ironworks left the furnace forever idled.
- 1890: Water from the Cahaba River flowed through the Birmingham Water Works Tunnel into downtown Birmingham for the first time.
- 2013: Austin Perrine was born in Austin, Texas.
- 2004: The Birmingham Zoo's African lion Kwanzaa was born in Waco, Texas.
- 1989: Buster, a male cheetah at the Birmingham Zoo, was born in Powell, Ohio.
- 1964: Salon owner Bridgett Jones was born in Birmingham.
- 1952: Dave Morrison, owner of Dave's Pizza, was born.
- 1935: Cecil Whitmire, manager and house organist of the Alabama Theatre, was born.
- 1923: David F. Friedman, film producer, was born in Birmingham.
- 1816: Moses Fields was born in Jonesboro.
- 2002: Former Birmingham Police chief Jamie Moore died.
- 2000: John Rice, Jr, former pastor of Westminster Presbyterian Church, died in Palo Alto, California.