El Palacio of Mexican Food is a Mexican restaurant chain founded in Amarillo, Texas in 1962 by Jimmy and Nonie McClure. The second location opened in Huntsville, Madison County in 1966. In the following years, the chain expanded across the South.
The chain peaked around 1972 with almost 60 restaurants. At that time, the Birmingham District had locations on 1st Avenue North in East Lake and on Bessemer Road at Five Points West. Later locations included Homewood, Irondale and Hoover.
- 8507 1st Avenue North, East Lake (1972-1981)
- 2210 Bessemer Road, Five Points West (1972-1981)
- 7950 Crestwood Boulevard, Irondale (1981)
- 201 Green Springs Highway, Homewood (1981)
- 1543 Montgomery Highway, Hoover (1981)
- El Palacio ad in "This Month in History" (March 1972) at Birmingham Rewound
- Marshall, Mike (January 19, 2010) "Owner recalls beginnings of Huntsville's oldest Mexican restaurant" The Huntsville Times