Exchange Bank Building
The Exchange Bank Building was constructed on 20th Street South and 10th Avenue South in 1947 for the Exchange Bank of Birmingham. The stripped-classicist modern concrete building was the first banking office in the city to have a drive-up window and its own parking lot. When it was built, the north and south wings of the building housed the Five Points Shoe Hospital and a Mary Ball Candies store, respectively.
The Exchange Bank merged with the Security Commercial Bank in 1957 to form the Exchange-Security Bank. The bank was merged into the First National Bank of Birmingham in 1971 and changed names to AmSouth Bank in 1983. AmSouth merged into Regions Bank in 2006.