Fairview Elementary School

From Bhamwiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Fairview Elementary School
Active 1919–2001
School type Public
District Birmingham City Schools
Grades
Colors
Mascot
Location 2623 29th Street Ensley, (map)
Birmingham

Fairview Elementary School was an elementary school in the Birmingham City Schools system located at 2161 29th Street Ensley in Fairview.

The school was originally known as Blakemore Hall and filled a two-story frame building on Warrior Road along with two smaller frame houses nearby at Crews Station. In 1909 the Ensley Board of Education briefly took over operation of the school and commissioned the construction of a new building, which was absorbed into Birmingham City Schools with the "Greater Birmingham" annexation of 1910.

The new Fairview School had 8 classrooms on two levels. An extension, completed in 1912, added four more. The school was not furnished with electricity or plumbing until 1926 when another addition provided a gymnasium, auditorium, library, art studio, home economics room and offices.

Fairview Elementary was updated with new flooring, ceilings, light fixtures and furnishings in the summer of 1978.

The school closed and merged into Minor Elementary School in 2001. The Birmingham City Council purchased the former school property in 2003. It has since been redeveloped for detached houses.

Principals

References