February 16 in the history of the Birmingham District:
- 2019: The Birmingham Committee for Truth and Reconciliation hosted Angela Davis for an event scheduled after the Birmingham Civil Rights Institute's board of directors rescinded her Fred L. Shuttlesworth Human Rights Award.
- 2010: The new Gardendale High School opened.
- 2010: WENN-FM was relaunched as a neo-soul station at FM 101.9.
- 2010: Kenneth Livesay was sentenced to 5 months in prison for his role in HealthSouth's accounting fraud scandal.
- 2008: The Hoover Crescent Islamic Center held its grand opening open house.
- 2007: Compass Bank announced that it was being acquired by Spain's BBVA.
- 2006: Elephant Bulwagi debuted at Disney's Animal Kingdom in Lake Buena Vista, Florida.
- 1968: The nation's first 911 call was taken in Haleyville.
- 1952: First baseman Norm Zauchin married the former Janet Mooney, whom he had met by running into her chasing a foul ball into the stands at Rickwood Field.
- 1945: The Galax Theater was damaged by fire.
- 1944: The Medical College of Alabama Building Commission selected Birmingham as the site of its expanded four-year program.
- 1935: Gertrude Stein arrived in Birmingham during a tour of the United States.
- 1897: The Town of Vincent was chartered.
- 1895: The Flag of Alabama was adopted.
- 1889: Birmingham purchased 80 acres for Red Mountain Cemetery (now Lane Park)
- 1955: Attorney Bradley Byrne was born in Mobile.
- 1952: Outfielder Jerry Hairston was born in Birmingham.
- 1948: Jefferson County Commissioner George Bowman was born in South Carolina.
- 1939: Football coach Jim Currier was born in Birmingham.
- 1866: Baptist minister Charles Fisher was born in St Bernard Parish, Louisiana.
- 2008: Civil Rights leader James Orange died in Atlanta.
- 2008: Former insurance executive and Mountain Brook mayor Lee McGriff died in Birmingham.
- 2007: Environmentalist Mary Burks died.
- 1944: Inventor Miller Reese Hutchison died in New York.
- 1923: Developer N. F. Thompson died in Baltimore, Maryland.
- 1852: Emelie Linn died during the birth of her son, Edward.