Five Points Theatre

From Bhamwiki
Jump to: navigation, search
The Five Points Theatre in the 1930s

The Five Points Theatre was a 675-seat cinema located at 1912 11th Avenue South. It operated between 1921 and 1958.

In its early days the theater used a Reproduco Cinema Organ to accompany silent films. Novelist Walker Percy (The Moviegoer) recalled that the first film he watched was a "Krazy Kat" cartoon at the Five Points Theatre.

The green and white glass facade was still visible above the expanded dining area of Surin West restaurant, which was remodeled in 2016. Other occupants of the space have included a post office, Taco Mac and Melons Restaurant.

References

  • McCaffery, Martin. Theatres of Birmingham on the Dead Theatre Pages.
  • Samway, Patrick H. (1997) Walker Percy: A Life. New York: Farrar, Strauss and Giroux