The stadium was built in 1933 by the Works Progress Administration, adjacent to the original Hueytown High School. The stadium was eventually named for the first two principals, Harley Gilmore and Charles Vines. The stadium was used by the high school for football games until after the 2011 season, when a new stadium was built at the high school's 15th Street Road campus.
The stadium, owned by the Jefferson County Board of Education, is used for events and concerts and maintained by the city of Hueytown, which entered into a contract with the school board in May 2012, led by then-mayor Delor Baumann. Baumann was also named stadium coordinator by the city council in February 2013. The adjacent land which previously held the high school buildings, is now Stadium Park, managed by the city.
- Curry, Johnny (n. d.) "The Original Hueytown High School". Hueytown Historical Society - accessed February 20, 2007
- Hueytown Historical Society (n. d.) "Through the Years" - accessed February 20, 2007
- Leech, Marie (June 27, 2008) "Jeffco school board buys site for new Hueytown High." The Birmingham News
- Faulk, Kent (July 8, 2009) "Jefferson County school board names Gayle Gober Hueytown High principal; bids on new Hueytown High school to be opened next week." The Birmingham News
- Norris, Toraine (January 11, 2012) "Ribbon-cutting planned for new Hueytown High School." The Birmingham News
- Norris, Toraine (May 16, 2012) "City to lease Gilmore-Vines Stadium]]. The Birmingham News
- Chambers, Jesse (Febraury 28, 2013) "Hueytown to use Gilmore-Vines Stadium for events, concerts." The Birmingham News