|District||Birmingham City Schools|
|Location||1700 6th Avenue North, (map)|
The Henley School was a Birmingham city school located at 1700–1704 6th Avenue North, at the intersection of 17th Street North, the southwest corner of Block 36, catty-corner from West End Park, on the present site of the Alabama Power Company parking deck.
After the Barker School burned in 1941, Parent-Teacher Association president Harry Singler labelled Powell and Henley Schools as "firetraps" and suggested that the board tear them down and replace all three with a single, modern combined school in a central location, presumably downtown near the existing Powell School site, but eventually the insurance settlement was used to expand the Seventeenth Avenue School instead.
On Palm Sunday, April 7, 1963 a group of 2,000 marchers were stopped near the school and ministers John Porter, Nelson Smith and A. D. King immediately knelt in prayer. Twenty-six of the marchers were arrested as onlookers were dispersed with police dogs.
- Annie Provost / Kate Knox, 1883
- George Brewer, 1884
- Albert Jonas
- J. B. Dell
- Frank Roof, 1887–1897
- Charles A. Brown, 1897–1907
- W. C. Griggs, 1907–1908
- J. M. Burnett
- W. McK. Wright, 1923–1924
- City Directory of Birmingham and Gazetteer of Surrounding Section for 1884-5 (1884) Volume II. Atlanta, Georgia: Interstate Directory Company
- Cruikshank, George H. (1920) History of Birmingham and Its Environs: A Narrative Account of Their Historical Progress, Their People, and Their Principal Interests 2 volumes. Chicago, Illinois: Lewis Publishing Company. - via Birmingham Public Library Digital Collections