Highland Point Plaza
Highland Point Plaza, also called the Hitchcock Plaza or the Twelve Hundred Building, is a 23,549 square-foot multi-tenant two-story office and retail building located at 1200-1224 20th Street South between 12th Avenue South and 13th Avenue South. It was built in 1956 and has been significantly remodeled.
Highland Point Plaza has a surface parking lot along the rear of the building, accessing the upper floor. It is managed by Hydinger Stewart & Chew Commercial Properties.
The building, then owned by Kenneth Horne Jr and Ann Horne, was bought by Highland Point LLC in 2000 for $1.2 million. In 2004 they sold it to Bragg Investments LLC and Southside Investment LLC for $2.9 million. Those partners sold it to RBM Squared LLC in 2019 for $2.7 million.
According to Jefferson County public records, Bragg Investments LLC and Southside Investment LLC bought the property from Highland Point LLC, an entity belonging to J.H. Berry & Gilbert Inc., for $2.923 million in 2004. Highland Point LLC had bought the property from Kenneth C. Jr. and Ann S. Horne for $1.171 million in 2000.
- 1200: former location of New York Life Insurance (1958)
- 1204: former location of Alpha Portland Cement (1964)
- 1204a: former location of Municipal Service Co. bookkeeping service (1964)
- 1206: former location of Kaiser Refractories chemical division (1964)
- 1208: former location of Lehigh Portland Cement (1964)
- 1210: 5 Point Public House (2015–2023), former location of the Twelve Ten Building, offices of Life Insurance Company of Virginia and Security Life Insurance Company of America (1964), Twentysix restaurant (2006-2015)
- 1210B: Highland Package Store (2020–)
- 1214: former location of the Portland Cement Association (1964)
- 1218: Ocean, former location of Electronics Computer Programming Institute (1968), Herzing Institute
- 1220: Expect Care Hospice
- 1224: Birmingham Education Foundation (December 2019-) / Ed Farm / Birmingham Talks, former location of the Pure Oil Co., PHP Communications