Homewood Cycle and Fitness
The store was founded as Homewood Cycle & Hobby Shop around 1952 at 2738 18th Street South. After Homewood Theatre closed around 1963, the store moved to that building. Then, around 1975, the hobby and toy portion of the business began separating from the bicycle portion. The split became official around 1980, with Homewood Cycle Shop continuing to occupy the old Homewood Theatre while Homewood Toy & Hobby Shop moved to its current location, the building adjacent to the south, but retained the store's original phone number. Homewood Cycle Shop later rebranded itself as Homewood Cycle and Fitness.
In the early 2000s, the business was purchased by the Cahaba Cycles chain, but continued to operate under the Homewood Cycle name until June 2011, when the building's facade was renovated. At that time, the name was changed to Cahaba Cycles. Jonathan Bourque was manager at the time.
The building itself is owned by Walter Busenlehner, who also owns Homewood Toy and Hobby Shop next door.
|2738 18th Street South
|2834 18th Street South
- Diel, Stan. (May 26, 2011). "Homewood Cycle and Fitness to change name, preserve historic building." The Birmingham News.