J. C. Marks & Company
J. C. Marks & Company was a wholesale wine, liquor and cigar dealer with offices, shop and warehouse space in a four story building at 2117 2nd Avenue North. The firm was organized on May 1, 1887 by J. C. Marks and A. S. Loventhal, a former schoolmaster.
The company offered a range of domestic and imported products, including brandies, cordials, absinthe, California and Virginia clarets, and catawba wines. By 1904 the business had moved across the street to the Victor Realty Building at 2024 2nd Avenue.
In 1908, when Jefferson County entered local prohibition, Marks moved his business to Louisville, Kentucky's Main Street. It closed in 1914. The space was subsequently leased by the C. D. Kelly Co. coffees and teas.