Jackson Elementary School

From Bhamwiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Jackson Elementary School
Active 19252013
School type Public
District Birmingham City Schools
Grades 1-5
Colors blue & yellow
Mascot Eagles
Location 1401 16th Way Southwest, (map)

Stonewall Jackson Elementary School is a former elementary school in the Birmingham Public Schools system that fed into Center Street Middle School. Jackson Elementary was located 1401 16th Way Southwest adjoining Lowery Park in the West End Manor neighborhood of the West End community. It opened in 1925 and was named in honor of former Confederate general Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson.

A 1961 addition to the school included four classrooms and new restrooms. The new wing was designed by Allen Bartlett and built by the Perusini Construction Co.

Birmingham School Board member W. J. Maye Jr was principal of Jackson Elementary before he retired. The current principal is Millard Hicks.

In 2008 a citizen proposed changing the name of the school to honor former Birmingham World editor Emory O. Jackson. Maye put the request on the agenda of the Board's naming committee.

On May 7, 2013 State Superintendent Ed Richardson overruled the Birmingham Board of Education and approved Superintendent Craig Witherspoon's recommendation to close the school, transferring students to Hemphill Elementary School.