James Donnelly residence
The James Donnelly residence, known as Donnelly House is a historic residence and event venue located at 2828 Highland Avenue in Highland Park. It was built in 1906 to be the residence of industrialist and civic leader James W. Donnelly, who moved to Birmingham after retiring from the Procter & Gamble Co. in Cincinnati.
The 12,000 square-foot Georgian Colonial mansion was designed by William Spink and his daughter, Marguerite, and constructed for $16,000. It features white marble floors, as well as a lighted ornamental pool and fountains. A 200-year-old beaded Austrian crystal chandelier imported from France greets visitors at the foyer.
During the 1950s, it also was home to the Birmingham Civic Ballet. The Donnelly House was listed on the Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage on March 20, 1975. Since then it has been partially renovated to serve primarily as an event hall. The house currently has six bedrooms, two kitchens, three full baths and three "bonus rooms".
In the 1980s, the house was owned and operated by Doug Blank. The property fell into foreclosure in 2009 and is currently owned by Gateway Bank of San Francisco, California. From 2007 to July 2010, the property was managed by Culinard, the culinary institute of Virginia College. In 2011 it was purchased by Carl Schoettlin, who began another restoration.
- Kent, Dawn (July 31, 2009) "Birmingham's historic Donnelly House is in foreclosure." The Birmingham News
- Cooper, Lauren B. (July 26, 2010) "Historic Donnelly House back up for sale." Birmingham Business Journal
- Diel, Stan (November 6, 2011) "Historic Donnelly House restoration uncovers layers of time." The Birmingham News