(Redirected from James W. Morgan)
James W. "Jimmy" Morgan (born c. 1891; died 1971 in Tuscaloosa) was a radio dealer and a member of the Birmingham City Commission from 1937 until 1961.
In the 1953 Birmingham municipal election, he was elected President of the Commission, and served as Mayor until his retirement.
It was Morgan's patient efforts that led to the development of the Birmingham Zoo and Birmingham Botanical Gardens at Lane Park. The zoo was named in Morgan's honor for a time, a portrait bust was placed near Monkey Island, and a pair of orangutans, "Jimmy" and "Myrtle", were named after the mayor and first lady.
Morgan died in September 1971 after a long illness. He was buried at Elmwood Cemetery.
- Spotswood, Frances (November 4, 1962) "Zoo personalities: Herman, Simsotty" The Birmingham News - via Birmingham Public Library Digital Collections
- Hogan, Ben (January 1969) "To 'Mr. Birmingham' the zoo is his trophy" The Birmingham News
- "Death takes our 'Mr. Birmingham'." (September 1971) The Birmingham News