Jefferson Metropolitan Park McCalla (JeffMet McCalla) is a 739-acre industrial park located on the south side of U.S. Highway 11 in McCalla. It connects to I-20/59 via McAshan Drive and is bordered to the South by the Norfolk Southern Railroad.
The park is operated by the Jefferson County Economic and Industrial Development Authority. The property was master planned by Sain Associates. Development began in 1998 and the park opened in 2000. It currently houses several large distribution warehouses and suppliers for the Mercedes-Benz US International assembly plant in Tuscaloosa County. As of June 2010 more than $500 million had been invested at the site with about 1,636 jobs.
Graham & Co. has developed several buildings in the park on a speculative basis.
The site won a new Home Depot distribution center in January 2008. It was developed by IDI, an Atlanta company specializing in building and leasing distribution facilities. The 657,000 square-foot facility was completed in mid-2009. That September, the hiring of 100 employees began, and is expected to grow to as many as 400 high-paying, full time jobs. Jefferson County provided an incentives package to secure the project.
In 2009 Norfolk-Southern Railroad announced plans to develop the $112 million Birmingham Regional Intermodal Facility adjoining the park. During the same year the Economic Development Partnership of Alabama classified the park as an "AdvantageSite", meaning that documentation of key site amenities, utility service and development impact data has been verified and can be provided to prospective companies, saving time and effort during site selection.
- Decoma International, a supplier to Mercedes Benz
- Gestamp Alabama, a supplier to Mercedes Benz
- Gulf States Beauty Supply
- Home Depot rapid deployment center, opened November 2009
- JCIM (formerly Plastech), a supplier to Mercedes Benz
- Johnson Controls
- McKesson Pharmaceuticals distribution center
- OfficeMax distribution center
- Oxford Automotive, a supplier to Mercedes Benz
- Plastipak Packaging, a containers manufacturer
- Posco America Alabama Processing Center, steel supplier to Kia and Hyundai, broke ground 2010
- Tomberlin, Michael (December 18, 2005) "Huge center aims at industry." Birmingham News
- Kent, Dawn (January 30, 2008) "Jefferson County finalizing deal for Home Depot distribution center in McCalla industrial park." Birmingham News
- Tomberlin, Michael (July 11, 2009) "McCalla chosen as site of cargo hub." Birmingham News
- Tomberlin, Michael (August 25, 2009) "Jefferson County's McCalla industrial park gets AdvantageSite designation." Birmingham News
- Tomberlin, Michael (September 4, 2009) "The Home Depot will hire 100 for its new regional distribution center in McCalla." Birmingham News
- site plan at jeffcoeida.com
- Jefferson County Economic and Industrial Development Authority website